More and more people are learning the benefits of riding RideKC, such as reduced commuting costs, less stress and increased mobility and access throughout the region. Whether you’re at a park and ride lot or a bus stop, there are actions you can take to keep yourself and others safe.
At Transit Stops and Other Public Areas
- Pay attention to who gets on or off at your stop.
- Stay alert to strangers.
- When possible, travel with another person.
- There is safety in numbers.
- Stand near others in well-lit areas and move toward your bus when it arrives.
- Trust your instincts.
- If something or someone makes you uneasy, avoid the person or leave.
Be Careful When Boarding
- Hold on to handrails.
- Don’t stand too close to the curb.
- If you miss the bus, don’t run after it, wait for the next trip.
- Do not dart in front of traffic to catch the bus; instead use crosswalks when you have the right of way.
- Let those exiting get off before you board.
Use Caution When Exiting
- Once again, remember to use handrails.
- Don’t cross the street in front of a Metro vehicle.
- Use the rear exit door so those boarding can use the front.
- If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up until the bus has driven away.
Prevent AutoTheft Auto theft is a problem that occurs in cities big and small. Follow these suggestions when leaving your vehicle unattended.
- Always lock your doors.
- Hide valuable items under your seats or in your trunk; never leave them in plain view.
- Park your vehicle in busy, well-lit areas.
- Completely close windows.
- Never hide a second set of keys in your vehicle.
- Use car theft deterrents to protect your vehicle.
Be Careful Walking To Your Car
- Be aware of people in your area.
- Walk briskly and confidently to your vehicle.
- Have your keys in your hand before you reach your vehicle.
- Check inside your care for intruders before getting inside.
More Rules To Follow When On RideKC
- Take your seat quickly and remain seated until your ride stops.
- Keep your feet on the floor and never extend hands, feet or arms in the aisle or out the windows.
- Don’t lean or press against the doors.
- Ride near the driver during non-rush hours.
- Be considerate of other riders.
Safety and Security Features On Board
- On board security cameras.
- Easy access to doors.
- Ramps or lifts for people in wheelchairs.
- Emergency side windows that can be opened in the event of a crisis.
- Radio link between drivers and communication center.
- Tracking devices.
- Grip poles for safe movement while on RideKC.
- Evacuation doors at the top of each bus.
Be Aware of Suspicious Packages
Packages are often left unattended and most are harmless, but if you notice anything suspicious such as visible wires, a mist or odor around the package or anything seeping from it, please notify your RideKC Operator or a RideKC Supervisor.
Keep Your Eyes Open For Suspicious Behavior
People showing strange or suspicious behavior are usually:
- In the wrong place or appear lost.
- Staring, loitering or watching employees and customers.
- Nervous or jumpy.
- Exiting an area quickly after leaving a package in unauthorized or restricted areas.
- Taking photos or expressing a high level of interest in operations, equipment or employees.
- If you notice strange behavior, notify a Metro Operator or Supervisor.