Applications: Application for ADA Complementary Paratransit Eligibility [PDF] - Application for Recertification [PDF]
What is Share-A-Fare?
Share-A-Fare (SAF) is a transportation program that provides specialized origin to destination service for individuals whose disability prevents them from independently using fixed-route bus service. The service provides complementary paratransit trips as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) throughout The Metro bus service area, as well as some other transportation services for eligible persons in Kansas City, Mo. To join the program, an application must be submitted. If determined to be eligible, the applicant is enrolled. Each program participant receives an ID card with a number. Trips may be scheduled between 1 and 14 days in advance by calling the reservation phone number (816) 842-9070. Share-A-Fare office hours are Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How To Use Share-A-Fare Door-to-Door Service
Call (816) 842-9070 to schedule your trip. Have the following information ready:
- Your Share-A-Fare identification number
- The day and date you want to travel
- The time you need to arrive at your destination or your appointment time
- The time you want to return
- The complete street address of your destination
Going to a hospital, shopping mall, or other destination with several entrances? Tell the coordinator which door you will use for your pick-up and return trips. Our on-line reservations system (e-Trip) is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact us at 816-842-9070 to make a reservation.
- Are there stairs, locked security entrances, locked gates, fencing? Is the street you live on difficult to find, etc.? If so, please tell the coordinator. These factors may affect the driver’s ability to reach you.
- Will an attendant or companion be traveling with you? If so, tell the coordinator when you schedule your trip.
If your work or travel schedule remains the same at least three times per week, you can fill out a subscription form for your trips so you won’t have to call on a weekly basis. The subscription service is good for a 90-day period or until the next quarterly mark up, when fixed-route bus service changes.
If you qualify, no cost transportation is available for non-emergency Medicaid appointments. Please tell the coordinator that you are scheduling a Medicaid trip and give your Medicaid number.
|0 - 3 miles||$3.00|
|3 - 6 miles||$5.00|
|6 - 9 miles||$7.00|
|9 - 12 miles||$9.00|
|12 - 15 miles||$11.00|
|15+ miles||$11.00 + $2 per mile|
|ADA Eligible Trips||$3.00|
To Receive the Best Service, Please Observe These Pointers
- Schedule your trip before 4:45 p.m. of the day before you want to travel. For example, if you want to travel on Tuesday, your trip must be scheduled by 4:45 p.m. on Monday. Share-A-Fare phone lines are open from 7:00 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
- Trips may be scheduled as much as 14 days before you want to travel.
- Listen carefully to the Share-A-Fare coordinator to make sure your trip is scheduled correctly. Stay on the line and wait for the coordinator to repeat your travel arrangements to verify your information and the cost of the trip.
- Please, have the exact fare ready for the driver. The Share-A-Fare coordinator will give you the cost for each trip when you schedule your ride. Drivers DO NOT give change.
The Share-A-Fare office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day in January
- Martin Luther King Day in January
- President’s Day in February
- Memorial Day in May
- Independence Day in July
- Labor Day in September
- Veteran’s Day in November
- Thanksgiving Day in November
- Christmas Day in December
During inclement weather, road conditions may cause delays. Notice of delays will be publicized on local television and radio stations, as well as the KCATA website.
- Phase A: Many customers may experience delays of 30 to 60 minutes past scheduled pickup times.
- Phase B: Significant delays are occurring system wide with some customers experiencing delays of more than 60 minutes past their scheduled pickup times.
- Phase C: Delays of over 1 hour are likely with significantly longer delays possible. Customers with non-critical trips are encouraged to cancel and re-schedule.
- Phase D: Due to extremely hazardous conditions, service is temporarily suspended. Customers should contact Share-A-Fare reservations to re-schedule their trips.
The Pick-up Point
Your vehicle may arrive any time during your 30-minute pickup window. Share-A-Fare provides door-to-door service to the most exterior door and cannot enter residences or businesses. Please be ready and waiting near the most exterior door. If you are using a wheelchair, there must be an accessible path from your pickup point to the vehicle. Drivers are unable to transport wheelchairs up or down steps or along other non-accessible paths.
Your Share-A-Fare Vehicle and Driver
Share-A-Fare utilizes a dedicated fleet of vehicles for both the ADA and non-ADA services. Your vehicle with either be a sedan or a mini-bus and will be clearly marked with the Share-A-Fare logo. Drivers are required to wear identification badges and a uniform, and will identify themselves as Share-A-Fare drivers. NOTE: Occasionally, Share-A-Fare may send a regular taxi vehicle to complete your trip. In this case, the vehicle will have “Share-A-Fare in Transit” displayed in the window and drivers will identify themselves as a Share-A-Fare driver.
What if I have a problem?
For your convenience, our customer comment line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are experiencing problems with our service, please call (816) 842-9070, select option 3, and leave your name, phone number, and a detailed message. Messages are retrieved daily and recorded in our complaint tracking system. Our Customer Service Representative will notify you that we received your complaint, research the problem and work with you, Share-A-Fare Staff, and our service provider to resolve the issue. For incidents that need immediate attention please call (816) 842-9070 and select option 1 to speak with a Customer Service Agent.
What if I change my mind and cannot travel?
Don’t be a No Show! Call our Reservations Number (816) 842-9070 to cancel your trip at least two hours before the scheduled pick-up time. After Share-A-Fare hours, just remain on the line and your call will be transferred to Dispatch. Customers who demonstrate a pattern or practice of No Show’s and/or Late Cancellations may incur penalties which could lead to a suspension of service.
Post These Numbers Near Your Phone For Quick Reference
Phone Numbers and Hours of Operation
|Reservations and Cancellations
(816) 842-9070 – Option #1
Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday and Holidays: 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
|Trip Information (Where’s my ride?)
(816) 842-9070 Option #2
Available during all service hours (typically 4:30 a.m. to midnight)
(816) 842-9070 Option #4
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
|Comment Line (Complaints or Commendations)
(816) 842-9070 Option #3
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
|TDD (hearing impaired phone)
Relay Missouri Dial 7-1-1
Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Share-A-Fare Advisory Committee: 2014 Meeting Schedule
Share-A-Fare Advisory Committee meetings are held on the second Wednesday of alternating months from 1– 2:30 p.m. All are invited to attend. The committee meets at the headquarters of the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, 1200 East 18th St. The purpose of the meeting is to receive input about Share-A-fare services and policies.
The meetings for 2014 will be held on the following dates:
- February 12
- April 9
- June 11
- August 13
- October 8
- December 10