Career spotlight: Bus Operator (Driver)
Our Bus Operators are the driving force behind our Mission: "We connect people to opportunities."
Bus Operators do so much more than drive — they’re the reliable, friendly face for KCATA riders, ensuring reliable and on-time passenger connections. Often our drivers are guides, providing trip and service information to navigate our amazing transit system and can be found assisting residents and tourists.
Through hands-on training, learn the necessary skills to drive state-of-the-art buses and how to provide excellent customer service. Work in a safe environment. Our high-tech buses are equipped with surveillance cameras, GPS (global positioning system) that identifies the location of buses at all times, radio communication, and other technology that ensures a comfortable and safe ride.
DRIVER OPPORTUNITIES. Our driving force.
Bus Operators (Full and Part Time) – Large Bus
$19.32 to $27.60 per hour / $40,189 - $57,414 per year plus benefits*
Bus Operators (Full and Part Time) – Small Bus
$17.94 to $20.70 per hour / $37,319 - $43,060 per year plus benefits*
Bus Operators (Full and Part Time) – RideKC Flex
$16.56 per hour / $34,448 per year plus benefits*
- Experience not required. CDL training provided.
- We pay you to train! Employees receive paid training to obtain your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) @ $16.56 per hour.
- Advancement opportunities
- All local work
- No overnight travel
- Guaranteed annual pay raises
- Represented by Local 1287, Amalgamated Transit Union
* per 2019 pay rates, higher figure represents guaranteed increases to the fourth year
* Based on eligibility. See benefits section.
You are ready with:
- Age 21 or older
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License with excellent driving record
- Ability to pass a physical agility test and drug test
- Class B CDL Permit or Class B CDL
- Prompt and reliable attendance
- Neat in appearance; comply with the dress code
- Respectful, customer service oriented with a positive attitude
- Open availability for flexible scheduling the first approximately two years as shift assignments and routes are based on seniority. During this time:
- hours and shifts will vary daily
- driving assignments can vary across transit including large bus, small bus and Flex vehicles
- routes are assigned quarterly, with bus operators selecting work assignments based on seniority
What you will need to start:
- Class B CDL Permit or Class B CDL with passenger endorsement and no airbrake restriction. We will train you on the rest of it!
- Department of Transportation (DOT) eligible: Physical Exam and Drug Screening (Paid by KCATA)
- Motor Vehicle Records search and criminal background check (Paid by KCATA)
WHAT KCATA OPERATORS DO AND JOB REWARDS
- Operate and drive a transit vehicle safely, courteously, and reliably throughout Kansas City metropolitan area
- Build relationships with riders
- Make stops at designated bus stops to load and unload riders
- Navigate our amazing transit system and assist residents and tourists
- Operate on-board computer fare boxes and destination signs
- Perform pre/post trip vehicle inspections
- Communicate with Operations Command Center/Dispatch Team to identify and ensure route times and safety